Measurer's Detail

All over now. Roll on Perth...

Measurer's Detail

Postby barnsie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Folks

To add to the forum, I will be bringing the scales and crusiform cradle for lifting the boats without racks (held above), measurers scales and sticks.

For those with carbon racks, we'll need to be able to look in the ends to check the weights are there and how far in. As long as they are partly over the intersection of the struts, we'll be happy. If they are 0.5 m. up the tube, we'll be having you relocate them.

C of G should be roughly half way along the tube.

One note of caution: If fitting new carbon racks for the Worlds, be warned that the aft weights need to be set over the rear struts towards the forward end of the diameter or you will find that your boat trims stern heavy as our one did (weights were just inside the tube end aft) no matter how you try to adjust your crew weight (great downwind though in breeze).

On the rest of the kit, boats to be stripped down, dry (so no sailing and coming straight to the measuring), and all components (1 plate, rudder, main, jib, kite) ready for the measurers. Each boat will be allocated a time and failure to comply, will mean you go to the back of the que for the day. No certificate, no sailing!

See all in Carnac from Saturday afternoon (03.07.2009).

Bye for now

Barnsie :wink:
barnsie
quiet and shy

Postby Haysey » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:11 pm

Is there some way the lead can be detected without removing the force fit end plugs? Taking off trampolines, removing end plugs, moving lead. What a pain in the **!!

We have our lead mounted at the ends of the carbon racks and the boat trim seems ok..... 8)
Haysey
El championie

Postby Alan Davis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:21 pm

We can bring a big drill and take some core-samples if you like... :lol:

Or you could pop them down the local hospital for an X-ray...

Or (these get better...) we could mount them on a big centrifuge...

Or we could just weigh them and check the balance point is within a tolerance of the expected position

Or we could drill a small hole in the end cap and poke a stick in there to find out where it is (I suspect Leaky likes this idea best as it involves the word "poke")
Alan Davis
UK Technical Officer
GBR 787 (Troublegum)
Alan Davis
Trainspotter

Re: Measurer's Detail

Postby leaky » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 pm

barnsie wrote:

See all in Carnac from Saturday afternoon (03.07.2009).

Bye for now

Barnsie :wink:

Can't we be earlier then? (For a poke perhaps?)
Leakster...... "Wetness is a reminder of what dryness is".
leaky
the one and only

Postby Tim Fells » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 am

Having just spent 2 hours refitting my tramps I am with Dave on this. Surely it must be possible to come up with a minimum weight of wings and tramps so we can weigh them without all this faff.
Tim
ex 787, 773, 758, 718, 682, 620
Tim Fells
Ex championie

Postby leaky » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:10 pm

I have to say I agree with this. All the Carbon racks have to be similar (assume "not lighter"!) to ali racks. It's quite a disassembly-reassembly job to go weighing naked racks....but I expect we're going to have a rule quoted now?

Let's get a box out to stand on..... :shock:
leaky
the one and only

Postby Phil 777 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:39 pm

It would be simpler to have a 'rigged weight' for the wings but consider the following:

* Where do we put the all up weight figure for the wings? ie: how much do we allow for the tramps?

* Does it apply to the alloy wings as well?
If you have old holt wings with no plumbing joints or sleaves and netting tramps you are going to be significantly lighter than someone with last generation plumbed alloy wings, with sleaves and octopus style tramps. No one has seemed to mind before!

* Do we add the weight of the heaviest tramps and make people who have lighter ones add more ballast (if so where)?
* Do we pick the lightest weight and then people with heavier ones loose out or have to waste more money?
* Do we pitch it in the middle and then everyone is equally unhappy?

* Do we remember that since the first inseption of the carbon wings at the last worlds it has been made clear that the wings would be weighed bare, ex tramps & control lines etc, and that this issue has only risen because of the current vogue for wrap around tramps.

These are simply observations to add to the debate, I don't much care what the outcome is, I can strip, weigh and re-rig mine in a little over half an hour. :lol:
ex: GBR 709 & 777
Phil 777
Enthusiast

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:46 pm

How about :-

All go sailing.

At the end of the series, check out the winner's boat.

If anything seriously wrong with it, protest / possible DSQ / move onto next boat.

Anybody with any chance of winning would be sure to make sure they complied with the rules.

Everybody else gets to leave their continuous kicker / tramps / wing plugs / lead weights where they are.

I have to say I would be with the Dave / Tim / Leaky point of view. Good luck to you Phil if you can disassemble and reassemble in half an hour. Used to take Dave and I several hours / much swearing / buying someone beer to do the kicker splicing for us.

Sean
Sean
bass

Postby Sean » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:51 pm

How about :-

All go sailing.

At the end of the series, check out the winner's boat.

If anything seriously wrong with it, protest / possible DSQ / move onto next boat.

Anybody with any chance of winning would be sure to make sure they complied with the rules.

Everybody else gets to leave their continuous kicker / tramps / wing plugs / lead weights where they are.

I have to say I would be with the Dave / Tim / Leaky point of view. Good luck to you Phil if you can disassemble and reassemble in half an hour. Used to take Dave and I several hours / much swearing / buying someone beer to do the kicker splicing for us.

Sean
Sean
bass

Postby Phil 777 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Sean, I'm the guy with the fids! :lol:
ex: GBR 709 & 777
Phil 777
Enthusiast

Postby Alan Davis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:04 pm

As the only Alloy wing user on this thread may I just say :lol:
Alan Davis
UK Technical Officer
GBR 787 (Troublegum)
Alan Davis
Trainspotter

Postby Alan Davis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:26 pm

More seriously, they have to be weighed and the only ways to do it correctly are to either strip them or have a relevant sample trampoline to hand and take that weight off the total.

I suspect the only place you will find a relevant sample trampoline is on one of your two wings... (cleats, blocks, ropes etc. are easy to subtract as we have samples/spares around the place).

I'm guessing (though it is not my call) that we could strip one wing and if that weighs in we just need to check-weigh it with its tramp against the other one (assuming you have the same tramps both sides!).

This would be an easy process if you guys had all put a "safe" amount of lead in - but I guess you all pushed the limit... (and if not why not??!!!)
Alan Davis
UK Technical Officer
GBR 787 (Troublegum)
Alan Davis
Trainspotter

Postby leaky » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:40 am

Wot lead??? :shock:
leaky
the one and only

Return to Worlds '10 - Carnac