Stay at Home in the Rain or go sail in Sunny Australia?

For the European fleet to have nice discussions. I'll put the kettle on.

Moderators: Al, mwattsB14

Stay at Home in the Rain or go sail in Sunny Australia?

Postby leaky » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Dear Reader,
As you may or may not know, The European Fleet are preparing the logistics to travel to Beauty Point, Tasmania, (That's Australia!) for the B14 Worlds in January 2018. As the name suggests, it is a lovely place to sail. Unlike the very entertaining capital, Hobart, there isn't the high-ground around the water, so I know the winds would be much, much cleaner for our type of sailing. Beauty Point is on the north of the (ah-hum), The "Island" and is only 45minute drive from the Ferry Dock at Port Dalrymple.

The Tasmanian Fleet is strong in numbers and ability. They are incredibly enthusiastic and welcoming, full-stop. Some Pommes have expressed a concern about "What to do when not Sailing?" Well, all I can say is that it isn't Sydney, but nor is Whitstable, Restroguet, Plerin, or Weston. Tasmania has great food & wine. It has great spirit and hospitality, but it is different. Indeed, the South West area is a real, proper wilderness to explore!

I'm concerned that if we all only wish to travel with our boats to compete in Sydney and Garda, we will have to admit that in the future, this great boat will be consigned to just being a "provincial-party" and all the history and relationships will go with it. There are plenty of places where I've been lucky enough to really enjoy racing the B14 that arn't these venues. You probably know a few too? Beauty Point is one of those special but unknown places.

Yes, the "cost" issue of this sport still raises it's ugly head. Costs of sails. Costs of membership. Costs of travel. We all are familiar with this, but do you look outside and weigh-up the costs of other amateur sports that offer the same level of physical & mental exercise? The B14 is a very beneficial class really.

Yes, the pound is crippling us again. Yes, the old sailors are getting stiffer and the younger ones are financially pushed; We know that. So, Simon Hadleigh is not only drilling through the logistics of the "Trip-2-Taz" (T2T), but is also digging-away like a pinstripe-suited Tasmanian Devil, to find commercial sponsorship. If anyone can help, please let us know.

Here's the important bit. The bit that's always at the end para'. The call-to-action bit.....

A week from the date of this email, we will be making a decision on just how many containers we will order to take the European Fleet to show the Aussies we can support them as they support us. So, this email is pretty much a Final Call about T2T. It wasn't discussed at the last AGM at Whitstable, so I'm appealing to you all now to let us know if you are at all interested, in any capacity. Helm, Crew, with or without a boat.

If you need to know more because you're sort of "interested but afraid to ask", phone me. 07931538297. I'm not the techie one. I'm the people one. Talk to me now. I don't have many friends.

See some encouragement here..... https://vimeo.com/85939520
Leakster...... "Wetness is a reminder of what dryness is".
leaky
the one and only

Re: Stay at Home in the Rain or go sail in Sunny Australia?

Postby leaky » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:23 pm

OK. No worries. I think I've got the message. :roll:
Leakster...... "Wetness is a reminder of what dryness is".
leaky
the one and only

Return to Euro Chat