Poor old Emmett!

For all your European Championship related chat and information

Moderators: marke, barnsie

Poor old Emmett!

Postby crispin » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkmyF4G0 ... e=youtu.be

Great footage of Mark and Alan with another master-class of B14 sailing in a puff....until 11.11! :cry:
762 Not Another ASBO
crispin
Keen

Re: Poor old Emmett!

Postby mwattsB14 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:46 am

Look closer and something went bang a while before that.. Floppy forestay isnt normal.. Yikes

Good video, shame about the bellping :)
Mark
B14 791 'Flying Donkey'
B14 International Class Association President
mwattsB14
Mr President

Postby barnsie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:07 pm

Also noticed loss of rig tension downwind in Saturday's video as well. Shame there is not a cam on the back end as we'd learn more. Looks like inversion had occured on Saturday as well. Both mast failures were due to inversions and compression. The fact the other masts stood on Monday shows just how strong they are under normal operation. So the leason is, whatever you do, even when pitchpoling, do not let the main out as it is effectively your backstay and without that a flogging kite will bring down you nice expensive carbon tube.

Great sailing though on the last day. :P
barnsie
quiet and shy

Postby MarkC » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm

inversion is what I'd worked it out to be - if you notice the port shrouds go very "floppy", what's the solution - wang on some kicker?
Mark
Doris - GBR774
MarkC
loud

Postby barnsie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:21 pm

No as long as the rig tension is correct on launching and the mast is intact. treat the main as the backstay when heading downwind and in turn it also acts as a trim tab and hopefully your rig will survive. To date we have achieved this goal in big winds. 8)
barnsie
quiet and shy

Postby Al » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

coming up at the next big wind event: Barnise loses his mast forwards...
Al
Fiddling with things

Postby Mark.Emmett » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughts on this....

We also had A LOT of Cunningham on and that sounds like it didn't help.

Reading all the feedback it seems to me that this, coupled with too little main sheet were what did us in. I just wonder how much main sheet you need.... Boom on the centreline, boom on the edge of the back quarter of the hull....???

What would you do in 20-25knots?

:-)
GBR784
Neil Pryde Sailing Team
www.neilprydesailing.com
Mark.Emmett
Enthusiast

Postby barnsie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

It is a known fact in 29ers that the quickest way to kill a mast is to leave the cuningham on going downwind. Going in to the windward mark we make a conscious effort to ease the cunningham and kicker so allowing the mast to work in column. Main it should not be eased further that the corner of the hull and ideally no more than the transom bar in 20 - 25 knots and on the centreline in higher winds.

Hope that helps. 8)
barnsie
quiet and shy

Postby Jimbo1210 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

Back in my laser days, rounding the top mark with the cunningham on caused alot of breakages.
It basically causes the mast to buckle as you are compressing the mast and an imbalance of forces will cause a buckling effect.
My coach at the time described it like this: stand a ruler on end and see how it bends. now push down on top of it and move that hand and see how it whips.
Decide for yourself, better to have a gradual bend in the mast or the effect you get from compressing the mast?
Plus totally agree with barnsie about using the main as a backstay..........however, i find as you let the main out it is faster and i do have to remind myself a full mast is faster than half a mast.
This is my experience from the other classes we sail by the way, in the b14, we find that something usually gives up before we get to try this theory: strops, strop eyelets, tiller extension, pole, hull.......
hopefully the new boat will be better
Jimbo1210
Keen

Return to Euros 2012- Plerin